STUDENT COMMITTEE- APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED
The iAMSTEM Hub is a project that is examining resources, majors, and student experiences in integrated Agriculture, Medicine, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (iAMSTEM) fields. We are attempting to consolidate useful resources for students in these departments and to improve the quality, efficiency, and productiveness of our programs, hopefully resulting in better student experience and retention.
In this endeavor, the Student Committee works closely with iAMSTEM to represent a wide range of UC Davis students in order to provide accurate and meaningful student input. Although the time commitment is fairly low, we are looking for dedicated, responsible applicants to join this committee. We seek a range of participants with diverse backgrounds who will be able to accurately represent several kinds of student profiles either by personal experience or by interaction with other students in their communities.
- Why are students leaving STEM? What are key challenges/barriers for students completing a STEM degree?
- Given those why’s, how is UCD addressing, or not addressing, these issues?
- What could be done to improve STEM student success? How should we define “student success”?
- Student expectations and knowledge of STEM and STEM careers
- Student perceptions of their parents expectations of them
- Student expectations and perceptions of UC Davis
- Parental expectations and knowledge of STEM and STEM careers
- Parental expectations of their child’s performance
- Parental expectations and perceptions of UC Davis
- The time commitment is not huge, but we need reliability and results. Total time will depend on the projects on which you focus.
- We need students who are proactive and will take the initiative to further a project and talk to students outside the committee and outside and within their communities.
- Many of our members will already be leaders in other groups. This is helpful but not required.
- We need our members to be independent enough to accomplish project tasks outside of the STEM hub and bring back organized and polished results.
- As a whole, our members will represent a wide variety of perspectives and backgrounds. We want to have access to and consider as many student profiles as possible.
- As individuals, we want our members to have broad experiences, be members of many different communities, and interact with a diverse range of people.
- Members should be aware of implicit bias and work to see the key questions of the committee through as many different perspectives as possible. It is important for them to be able to take into consideration perspectives generated from other members of different implicit bias.
Fill out the Student Committee Application Form. (DUE FEBRUARY 3RD)
- Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. IF YOU HAVE NOT SUBMITTED YOUR RESUME, BUT HAVE SUBMITTED THE FORM, PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME NOW.
- Following submission of applications, you may be invited to interview at the iAMSTEM Hub.